December 5, 2010

hanging out . . . at the airport?

My mother is completely correct when it comes to travel preparedness--get to the airport early. However, I must add, from personal experience, don't get there too early. How early is too early? When I was traveling home from college last summer, I wanted to get to the airport early because I had to check two bags and somehow get another three through security. My bus got me to the airport at 10:30 am but my flight did not leave until 4:30 pm. Apparently, on many airlines you cannot check bags sooner than 4 hours before departure. As I had arrived a whopping 6 hours early, I spent a lovely couple hours sitting on top of my 5 bags in the doorway of the airport, brooding quietly while playing solitaire, poised to slide my luggage under the black ropes to the airline check-in the second the clock chimed 12:30 pm. Needless to say, I memorized the airport pubic service announcements . . . in two languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.