December 5, 2010

tips on trips

topic number thirteen: terminal trotting without tumbling


I am always early to the airport. It is my personal tradition, holiday or no holiday. I think it has to do with early childhood memories of mad family dashes to airport gates accompanied by massive stress and controversy over everything from misplaced tickets to seat assignments. During those excursions, travel and relaxation never intermingled. So as I sit at the airport enjoying a few carefree moments writing this blog, I can not help but notice those who are less fortunate. These are the travelers who leave trails of tortured ticket agents and forgotten sunglasses at security checkpoints in their wake.


Today, much has been published about the art of packing and many of us have mastered this successfully. Strategies for ticket purchase and seat selection are also well known. But what is missing from this overall dialogue is about personal commitment to traveltude, yes, aka travel attitude. Traveltude is all about the way one thinks about travel.


My belief is that every trip should be planned with extra time scheduled to allow for traffic delays, gate or terminal changes, an extra restroom stop--anything that might create more than a minor hiccup in reaching a scheduled destination. It takes a balanced bit of foresight and anticipation without at the same time willing on the distressing situation itself. This means scheduling extra time(a true luxury). My secret? Do not tell others your actual flight time. Reveal only the exact time you plan to start your journey whether it be from home or hotel. Otherwise, the following may happen--at least one of your fellow traveling entourage may elect to delay packing or may need to make an additional stop or two on the way to the airport or worse yet, might convince you to leave later. Don't do it! My second secret is to keep a fully charged cellphone with charger on my person at all times. Having telephone access to a ticket agent verses racing with the rest of the flight to the next terminal, to the last gate and to the one-agent ticket counter is a blessing.


Mentally preparing for a trip is equally important. This means slow deep breaths. This means calm. There really should be an airport surcharge for tightly wound passengers, or better yet, their own line through security along with designated seating. They make me so uncomfortable. I feel very privileged when I have the time to stop and thank a deserving flight attendant or help another passenger on or off the plane. I find it pleasurable to smile through each and every security checkpoint transaction. I like having time to count out exact change for purchases rather than quickly pulling for the easy reach twenty dollar bill.


It is truly a satisfying experience to travel without vexation, without racing with rancor. And the more I think traveltude, the more I do.
















3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to know I am not the only one who lies about what time my flights actually take off! Usually this happens when I am relying on someone to take me to the airport (people always have their own ideas about how much time is actually enough).

    Another part of my 'traveltude' comes from growing up the child of a flight attendant. When you fly non-rev you have to dress nicely, in the 70's and 80's that meant skirts and pantyhose, oh yes, I said pantyhose (My brother hated that part the most). So while comfort is key, I still put some effort into how I look when I travel, and I absolutely LOSE IT when I see people in their freaking PAJAMAS. I mean seriously. Is it SO difficult to change out of the pj's and put on some decent looking sweats? Really people, you can even go to bed in said sweats and then just get up and go to the airport. No one will know. Whereas when you show up wearing your pink teddy bear pajama pants, everyone knows you woke up in them hours before.

    Ok. I have to take a breath now and chill. :)

    Thanks for another fun post Miss Perri.
    :) jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    I could not agree with you more! What has happened to dress standards?!
    I find many people under-dressed not only at airports, but at restaurants, department stores and other public venues. I can understand the need for comfort, but never the need for the inappropriate shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey this is fun - I never went back to look and see if you said anything in response to my comment!

    Yea, the pj's/sloppy clothes in public thing makes me just a teensy bit insane. That said, I did work out today and then proceeded to fun errands. Hmmmmm, that kinda counts as a no no. Oh well.
    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.