August 28, 2010

sponges suck

Ok, here it goes. This blog comes at the prompting of family members quite dear to me…my daughter Lindsay and my cousins Don and Steve. All of who think that the things I do in life should be shared. Quite frankly, I do not know why anyone would want hear about my ideas about kitchen pantry organization as an art form or making beds with a half dozen sheets or so. Doesn’t Martha Stewart cover all of this?! My guess is that I sometimes take it whatever it might be, a step further. And it could be just about anything these days.

topic number one: sponges suck

First of all, I hate kitchen sponges. Yes I do. Now that I have confessed this, I will admit that I do have sponges in my home. But I have to ask, why are sponges treated so differently than other kitchen cleaning items? Dish towels are used once in an evening, dirty and wet, and are then immediately tossed into the hamper to be cleaned. (Or at least I hope so.) What I have noticed is that for most people, they let their sponges linger…they are kept wet in the sink or on the counter. Or, dare I say, under the counter where they become even more dangerous-wet and mildewed and then the smell. …disgusting. I have tried to get around wet sponges by squeezing them dry after each use but that doesn’t solve the bigger issue at hand.

Who would ever decorate their kitchen in industrial strength yellow, lime-a-way green or medicinal blue??? Have you ever thought about the horrible color selection we all have been forced to live with for years? What was Chore-Boy thinking?! They must have collaborated with all the other sponge manufacturers as I have walked down numerous aisles of grocery stores, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target and even kitchen specialty shops like Sur la Table. All are alike. What happened or should I say didn’t happen to sponge color in the 20th and now 21st century is an absolute travesty! Between you and me, sponge designers have failed at their task. It is a most unfortunate situation…as what other company would hire them with such a visual handicap? Am I the only one out there hoping to find teal blue, sage green, light caramel, dove gray or coco brown sponges? Or what about, dare I think stripes? My quest began.

I happened to stumble upon faux sea sponges in the beauty aid aisle at CVS Pharmacy. I stood there in awe. But could I figure out how to cut these puffy oval sponges into perfectly flat rectangular shapes? What a big disappointment. My suggestion is not to even go there with this thought.

Days and weeks went by with sponges on my mind, which sucked (no pun intended). Finally, to my absolute delight and my family’s dismay, I discovered beautiful white sponges at Whole Foods Market. Yes, I realize white can be a tough color to keep clean…but they are so worth it. I immediately bought the two small white sponges hidden halfway under the plastic wrap on the store shelf, hoping that more could be found. After driving to three additional Whole Food stores, I was able to gather several more. I discovered there was a larger size…although aesthetically too large, so I simply cut each of the large sponges into two smaller ones. I now keep a container of crisp white sponges in my kitchen. I throw dirty sponges into the dishwasher on a regular basis after use. And during desperate times when white sponges are not to be found…begrudgingly medicinal blue will do.

14 comments:

  1. I love you dearly... but I think you have too much time on your hands!! Although, I did learn something today... I think putting a sponge in the dishwasher is a nifty idea. We'll try it. Can't wait for next week's topic! xoxoxo A :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhh Perri. I LOVE THIS BLOG MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF. Never quit.

    And I expect to see something about the correct way to insert a pillow into its case soon.....:)

    Jen & Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sponges? I thought you were writing about some deadbeat! Acutally I like the sea sponges you keep near the tub to dry the edges after a shower, they are works of art that work! xoxo the one who luvs ya baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always hated smells of disarray and visual disparities... You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more that sponges do indeed suck. Further, some sponge users themselves suck, as I've witnessed acquaintances use a sponge on the kitchen floor and then return it to its place at the sink for future use on dishes and glasses! Now that sucks.

    What does Perri say when it comes to coasters verses bev naps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sponges might suck, but this blog does not. It's hilarious. Perri, I have a question. I put my sponge (lime-away green I'm afraid) in the dishwasher, and it came out all wet. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steven,
    Yes, I agree, some people have horrible sponge habits! You ask a great question-coasters or beverage napkins? Actually, I use both. Coasters for the stationary party guests, linen or cotton cloth napkins for those who mingle. I do not recommend paper napkins, especially colored ones. Understanding that sometimes when entertaining quite a few rather than just a few may dictate the use of paper, I prefer white or off-white napkins. Colored paper napkins nine times out of ten bleed their color onto everything and everyone. If you must use colored paper napkins, then a "bleed" test is a must before usage. (I can guarantee that the sales clerk a the party supply store will not know.) If the napkins bleed, avoid at all costs. Oh...and please make sure those coasters are not sticky from the last party! Best, Perri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Don,
    Thank you so much for your support! Lime away green huh? So sorry. But another great question-how do you dry your sponges if they come out of the dishwasher too wet? Simple, I put them in a zippered mesh bag for "delicates" and throw them 15-20 minutes in the clothes dryer on medium heat. Hope this helps! Best, Perri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Perri - I thoroughly enjoyed your article on "sponges". That got me thinking about powder room hand towels and hygiene. What do you recommend we have next to the sink for guests? Paper towels or cloth towels? I've always pondered that question...do you give a choice or just go with one? Please advise...Yours truly, Efren

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Efren,
    Thank you for your kind words regarding my sponge article. Boy, have you hit on an important subject! Bathroom towel protocol is critical, not only in presentation, but in functionality. So your question-paper towels or cloth towels, is one that I can speak to from years of experience!! Paper towels while easy to provide in mass quantities during a large party should never be used where children are involved. Children do not understand that paper hand towels can not be flushed. If you are soundly sure that invited adults understand this fact AND you have a nearby visible trash receptacle then you are safe. I will not go into the details of what happens during the middle of a dinner party when a guest accidentally flushes a paper towel down the commode...let's just say it is not pretty. This has happened to me twice and never again. I provide a number of cloth towels for guests along with a towel receptacle. I start the receptacle ahead of time with one towel thrown in so guests will have a hint as to what to do. This way I am confident that none will find their way to the commode. I have visited guest bathrooms where there are only two towels hanging on a metal bar and would never even think about using them. How many hands, mouths or noses have touched these two communal towels?! A very scary thought indeed. I hope this answers your question. Please know that additional information on bathroom towels and their presentation will follow in the coming weeks. Best, Perri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perri,

    We're so glad you've joined the blogosphere. We look forward to more posts.

    As to the status of sponges, we could not agree more. Those who know us know that we do not have your level of passion for order and organization (no snickering from the rels). But our disdain for sponges is second-to-none. So much so that we stopped using them years ago (really! stop snickering!).

    Disposable wipes, towels (paper and cloth) and brushes rule our kitchen regimen. Paper goes in the trash, cloth in the washer, and brushes in the dishwasher (brushes have the advantage that they do not need a quick spin in the dryer afterwards).

    By the way, a quick internet search for "white kitchen sponges" turned up the following: http://amzn.to/dlSt47 Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sponges can be disinfected in the microwave as well!

    "Don't throw out the kitchen sponge that smells like last night's salmon. Soak it in water spiked with white vinegar or lemon juice, then heat it on high for 1 minute. (Use an oven mitt to remove it.) This will also disinfect any sponges you used to wipe up the juices from a raw chicken."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anonymous,
    Fabulous!! My daughter agrees with you about the microwave (see below).
    White vinegar and lemon juice are both kitchen pantry must haves. Everyone should take note.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just going to tell you about the sponges and micro needing to be best friends....I do that all the time. And while I use lemon juice, I have yet to bust out the vinegar so thanks for that tip!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.