November 14, 2010

tables that top

topic number eleven: table mojo


My husband and I recently attended a local benefit where guests were seated as one might expect at a multitude of round tables set for the evening's dinner to follow. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to pay attention, repetitive ceremonial speeches were about to surrender me into unconsciousness. My mind began to wander, so I decided to put the time to better use--to observe each and every seated guest. Were they having a good time? Were they bored or distracted? Was there a disparity in the level of contentment between tables? I couldn't help but reflect on truly memorable parties and events my husband and I have been guests at over the years. Clearly this night was not one of them. But why?


There were numerous reasons, some more complex and others less so, and a few which were clearly preventable. We all know (or should know) that entertaining involves great libations and delicious food. More importantly it requires the due diligence and full presence of happy, engaged hosts and/or entertainers. This is a given in my book...however, I would like to take this a bit further.


Think about it--one half to two-thirds of an evening affair can be spent at a table. For those of you that can actually sit that long, "the" table, the one that is always eyed with longing is the one where guests are smiling, talking and laughing. It is the one where guests' backs are turned outward in a relaxed, "dare not unseat me" way. It is the table with guests who are usually the first on the dance floor, the first to raise bidding paddles, the first to sing and the last to leave. Having had the pleasure of sitting at some of those tables helps one understand another aspect of a life worthwhile.


Two carefully thought out items on one's entertainment checklist can make table guests feel that indeed they have the privilege of a seat at "the" table whether it be table number one or table number forty-four.


Take a very close look at table types first. Square tables, oval tables and unevenly extended tables can be quite distracting in and of themselves alone. Round tables make for easy conversation as long as they are not too small where one is elbow to elbow, wrist to wrist, literally locking knives. Nor should rounds be so large that megaphones are a required party favor.


I fondly remember one summer evening at the terrific home of friends, John and Efren. Smart guys as they are, they created a single very long table instead of the predictable floating of three or four 60 inch table rounds. It is this style of table configuration which can often be found for daily feasting festivities in Italy or Spain. When the party environment is appropriate, sitting at this type of table can be a wonderfully warm and welcoming dining experience. The table staged and set by John and Efren was just that and more. It was marvelous!


At seated dinner parties, people placement is a serious matter. This aspect of party planning can be particularly challenging. I suspect that more than some have a cousin "Stu" or a "Mr. Grump" who requires seating finesse. Trust me, people placement can make or break an evening filled with great food, drink and even the right table style. Table seat assignments can at times be a bit too formal, but there are ways to lighten the experience with clever cards and accouterments. I favor assignments for parties over six guests more often than not. Some may disagree, but I have found that in most instances "boy, girl, boy" tables are wearisome. We are not paper dolls people!


One of the most amazing seated dinner experiences was one that caught all attendees completely off guard--including myself. My husband, a business associate and I recently attended a dinner where we were each placed at a different table. Yes, the thought did occur to me to switch place cards, but at that point this thought was on everyone else's mind too! Young, old, coupled, partnered or not, we were all facing the same dilemma. With many out of their comfort zones, needless to say the first topic of table conversation was discussing this interesting people placement decision. And within a very short period of time-smiling, talking and laughing was in full force at each and every table. Why? Because our hosts, contrary to every one's initial concern, had indeed been quite thoughtful.


So, my point? For table carousers over killjoys--contemplate, then celebrate!


















1 comment:

  1. very nice chapter of virtues and vices.....and so true that when you are stuck at a dud table an event can seem truly torturous. I would also add that if you don't feel confident in hosting parties/event (ahem, I am on the top of that list) there is no shame in leaving it to the professionals.....:)

    And this is Jen - had to use anonymous because I can't remember my log in info!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.