October 10, 2010

cozy towels

In the discussion about towels, it really is a towel off between my mother and me. I don't like bath sheets. I just don't. I prefer smaller, more absorbent towels that fit just right . . . and can also be used for your hair.


I have had some towel horror stories in my day. I don't even know if I should bring up the Nail Polish Fiasco of '99. After spilling the ruby red nail polish all over the white bathroom tile, I proceed to clean up the pools of liquid with the freshly folded white hand towels on the counter. I don't know how my mom got through that one . . . or the red out of the grout.


The most recent towel disaster was last year when I ordered linens from school. Using a company that shall remain nameless, my mother and I selected some blue sheets, a blue comforter, and various sizes of blue towels. Apart from being very, very blue (see "invasion of the throw pillows, September), the towels did not absorb a drop. Not one. They just pushed the water all around.


Maybe I just don't like towels. Or maybe it's that I don't really like using towels. I may be a Pisces, but I am not at home in the water and I really dislike that in between place--not quite wet, not quite dry. Unpleasant.


Fortunately, my mother has a solution to fix all ills, especially for persuading small children (and 15 year olds) to take a bath. Put the towel in the drier for a few minutes before you get out. Nothing better than a cozy embrace from a pleasantly warm towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.