October 3, 2010

the case of the bookcase

topic number six: bookcases, in the eye of the beholder


With each move our family has made over the years, there comes a moment in time when our bookcase is ready to be set up. This is the time when my husband heads off to the office immediately and my daughter takes a trip...abroad. No, not because they do not want to help. It is because they know better. Bookcase organization in our house is a very critical period of time. My approach to this project is similar to that of an artist with a large blank canvas: passion, vision and a plan. Some artists require silence and space to work...can you guess who?


Over the years, studying and working with cases, I find that bookcase balance (aka composition) is always at issue. Larger books should be positioned on the lower shelves, smaller books above just as a landscape artist would paint wooded hillsides below blue skies, not above. If this concept makes no sense to you, honey, you may want to sit this one out.


I usually separate books by size first and then group them by theme. You will drive yourself crazy trying to alphabetize everything perfectly first. Trust me. Start with themes--gardening, travel, fiction, non-fiction, kite-flying, etc. Once you have themes grouped, you may then lightly organize alphabetically.


After groups of books are allotted to the various shelves, work one shelf at a time. A painting within a painting if you will. With each predetermined group, balance the shelf according to size and color. Here one must think out of the box and be willing to sacrifice a bright orange dust jacket or two for the overall good. But then again, that Matisse red jacket may be the needed missing link!


Restoration Hardware catalogues depicting case books covered with identical antique white jackets are so appealing. And, although many think I have a form over function kind of spirit, I too, have my limits. Especially, when it comes to my collection of art books. I like to see them and know exactly where they are.


Anyway, once each shelf is completed, step back and make a few adjustments where needed. I suggest "tweaking" a few shelves with the addition of a small group of thoughtfully selected objects. By checking visual balance from top to bottom and side to side, finding rhythms or sequences in book colors and/or top lines, placement becomes easier to determine. Think of the objects as accents, adding not distracting from what you have already created.


So, is your bookcase a bit off or uncomfortable to look at? Just let the artist within you reach out with books as palette paint and the case as canvas!



6 comments:

  1. Can you come organize my Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohh snarky comment from "anonymous!" Be brave, show thyself! :)

    and I was just going to ask, where do you stand on trashy paperback mystery novels?! Not that I have 1 or 2 of those, or 49 of them.
    Also, when are you going to come over here and fix my bookshelves? And my switchplate screws and my sheets and my dustruffle? Huh? You are such a TEASE Perri. Seriously.

    :) xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer,
    Thanks for the question about what do to with "trashy" paperback mystery novels. The trashy part is in the eyes of the beholder and therefore the determination is yours to make--on the shelf or not. But I do have alternate idea for you. When my daughter grew out of some of her treasured childhood books and could not part with them, we placed them inside a wooden trunk which also served as an end table. They were out of sight, but not out of house or mind. Hope this helps before I knock on your door to report for duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny,
    Thank you for keeping me inspired! You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous,
    Organize a Kindle?! I would think that is a must.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Insights? Please share here. One or both of us will respond when we finish reorganizing our closets . . . again.